It is with much pleasure that we announce the release of the Beta 2 Release of Team Archon’s Ultima 6 Project, for Dungeon Siege 1 (PC and Mac). Some things to look forward to in this release:
- Many bug fixes have been implemented since the Milestone 8 (Beta 1) release.
- Weapon and armor restrictions have now been applied, by class.
- The entire world is complete, and ready for players to explore.
- All NPC’s are in place, and all the quests have been implemented.
- Those players with proclivities to the dark side can now follow an “evil path”.
- Hydras are now in game, and should pose a nasty surprise to unwary travelers.
- Additional enhancements have been made to the map and journal systems, and the Compendium is now nearly complete.
- Minor performance improvements have been implemented.
- It should be noted that anyone using a previous version will have to uninstall it prior to installing the Beta 2 Release, and start a new game.
While this is not the final release of the game, we feel that it is reasonably polished, enough for public consumption (read: scrutiny). We still expect that there will be some bugs, and are soliciting your help in finding them. If you find problems with the release, want to exchange play hints with other players, want to give us kudos, or (heaven forbid) want to tell us what you really think, join us at our forums. We have set up a special forum for the Beta 2 Release on the Project Britannia forums (http://www.projectbritannia.com/index.php ).
To download the Beta 2 release, please select from our list of sites below.
If you like what you see, and would like to contribute to this great game (and help us get it out faster), the team is looking for additional 2D artists to help with completing the portraits. And, of course, we’re always looking for play-testers to help us find and eliminate any bugs. Contact any of the team members on the forums if you’d like to join the team.
If you already have any of the previous milestones installed, you will probably want to uninstall them before you install M8 (Beta). They may not play nice together.
To install, download the .zip file, and extract it into a temporary folder. Then, run the setup.exe program. It will set up all your shortcuts for you. Please leave feedback in the forums.
A few notes: If you have trouble getting it running, check the following:
1. Remove all files from your My Documents\Dungeon Siege\Bits folder.
2. Check to make sure there aren’t any stray .dsres or .dsmod files in:
Program Files\Microsoft Games\Dungeon Siege\Resources or
Program Files\Microsoft Games\Dungeon Siege\mods.
To uninstall, use Windows Add/Remove Programs or the uninstall shortcut in the Start Menu.
About The U6 Project
The Ultima 6 Project was formed in 2001 by Sliding Dragon to develop a remake of Origin’s Ultima VI: The False Prophet with newer graphics and a more immersive engine. Soon assembled under the banner Archon, the team members, who hail from all over the globe, have set about recreating the world of Britannia, adding an enhanced storyline to bolster intraseries continuity and building on the Ultima legacy in a way that will please fans new and old.